Joel O. Wertheim, PhD
Assistant Professor of Medicine
Division of Infectious Diseases
Antiviral Research Center
I received my PhD in Ecology and Evolutionary Biology in 2009 from the University of Arizona. This work focused on relaxed molecular clocks and their use in understanding the origin and emergence of RNA viruses. Afterwards, I began work as a postdoctoral fellow at the University of California, San Diego. Here, I continued my work into understanding the origins of RNA viruses and how more sophisticated models of molecular evolution may help us better understand their circumstances. Since then, my work has increasing focused on HIV transmission networks, both their construction and dynamics. This work is primarily funded by a K01 award from NIH-NIAID. My work on HIV transmission networks is facilitated by ongoing collaborations with the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention and the New York City Department of Health and Mental Hygiene.
I am currently an Assistant Professor in the Division of Infectious Diseases in the Department of Medicine at the University of California, San Diego.
BA, Biology, Wesleyan University
PhD, Ecology and Evolutionary Biology, University of Arizona, Tucson
- Joel O. Wertheim, Ben Murrell, Martin D. Smith, Sergei L. Kosakovsky Pond and Konrad Scheffler (2015) RELAX: detecting relaxed selection in a phylogenetic framework. Molecular Biology and Evolution 32(3): 820–832.
- Joel O. Wertheim, Martin D. Smith, Davey M. Smith, Konrad Scheffler and Sergei L. Kosakovsky Pond (2014) Evolutionary origins of human herpes simplex viruses 1 and 2. Molecular Biology and Evolution 31(9) 2356–2364.
- Joel O. Wertheim, Andrew J. Leigh Brown, N. Lance Hepler, Sanjay R. Mehta, Douglas D. Richman, Davey M. Smith and Sergei L. Kosakovsky Pond (2014) The global transmission network of HIV-1. Journal of Infectious Diseases 209(2): 304–313.
- Joel O. Wertheim, Daniel K. W. Chu, Joseph. S. M. Peiris, Sergei L. Kosakovsky Pond and Leo L. M. Poon (2013) A case for the ancient origin of coronaviruses. Journal of Virology 87(12): 7039–7044.
- Joel O. Wertheim, Konrad Scheffler, Jun Yong Choi, Davey M. Smith and Sergei L. Kosakovsky Pond (2013) Phylogenetic relatedness of HIV-1 donor and recipient populations. Journal of Infectious Diseases 207(7): 1181–1182.
- Joel O. Wertheim, Mathieu Fourment and Sergei L. Koskovsky Pond (2012) Inconsistencies in estimating the age of HIV-1 subtypes due to heterotachy. Molecular Biology and Evolution 29(2): 451–456.
- Joel O. Wertheim and Sergei L. Kosakovsky Pond (2011) Purifying selection can obscure the ancient age of viral lineages. Molecular Biology and Evolution 28(12): 3355–3365.
- Joel O. Wertheim (2010) The re-emergence of H1N1 influenza virus in 1977: a cautionary tale for estimating divergence times using biologically unrealistic sampling dates. PLOS ONE 5(6): e11184.