Mary Lewinski, M.D., Ph.D.
Assistant Professor of Medicine
Division of Infectious Diseases
9500 Gilman Drive MC 0679
Dr. Lewinski graduated from the University of Southern California in 2000 with a B.A. in Philosophy and a B.A. in Political Science. She earned her M.D. and Ph.D. as part of the Medical Scientist Training Program at the UC-San Diego School of Medicine. For her Ph.D. in Biomedical Sciences she studied retroviral integration at the Salk Institute for Biological Studies with Frederic Bushman, Ph.D. After this but prior to completing medical school, she investigated the mechanisms of HIV latency as a postdoctoral scholar at UC-San Diego and the VA San Diego Healthcare System with Celsa Spina, Ph.D., and Douglas Richman, M.D. After graduating from medical school in 2008, she continued her clinical training at UC-San Diego, completing her residency in internal medicine and infectious diseases fellowship as part of the Physician Scientist Training Pathway. During her ID fellowship, she began her research with John Guatelli, M.D., investigating how HIV-1 employs its accessory proteins to evade the host immune response and counteract cellular restriction factors. In addition to research, she works as an HIV primary care physician and infectious diseases consultant at the VA San Diego Healthcare System.
- Molecular virology of HIV infection
- HIV counteraction of host restriction factors
- Proteomics, ubiquitinomics
- X. Jia, E. Weber, A. Tokarev, M. Lewinski, M. Rizk, M. Suarez, J. Guatelli, and Y. Xiong. Structural basis of HIV-1 Vpu-mediated BST2 antagonism via hijacking of the clathrin adaptor protein complex 1, eLIFE, 2014, Apr 29; 3:e02362. [PMID: 24843023]
- M. Jafari, J. Guatelli, and M. K. Lewinski. Activities of Transmitted/Founder and Chronic Clade B HIV-1 Vpu and a C-terminal Polymorphism Specifically Affecting Virion Release, Journal of Virology, 2014, Feb 26 (Epub) [PMID: 24574397]
- S. Sherrill-Mix, M. K. Lewinski, M. Famiglietti, A. Bosque, N. Malani, K. E. Ocwieja, C. C. Berry, D. Looney, L. Shan, L. M. Agosto, M. J. Pace, R. F. Siliciano, U. O'Doherty, J. Guatelli, V. Planelles and F. D. Bushman. HIV latency and integration site placement in five cell-based models, Retrovirology, 2013, 10:90. [PMID: 23953889]
- M. K. Lewinski, M. Yamashita, M. Emerman, A. Ciuffi, H. Marshall, G. Crawford, F. Collins, P. Shinn, J. Leipzig, S. Hannenhalli, C. C. Berry, J. R. Ecker, F. D. Bushman. Retroviral DNA integration: viral and cellular determinants of target-site selection, PLoS Pathogens, 2 (6), June 2006, p. e60. [PMC1480600]
- M. K. Lewinski, D. Bisgrove, P. Shinn, H. Chen, C. Hoffmann, S.Hannenhalli, E. Verdin, C. C. Berry, J. R. Ecker, and F. D. Bushman. Genome-Wide Analysis of Chromosomal Features Repressing Human Immunodeficiency Virus Transcription, Journal of Virology, 79 (11), June 2005, p. 6610-6619. [PMC1112149]
- M. K. Lewinski and F. D. Bushman. 2005. Retroviral DNA integration--mechanism and consequences. Adv Genet 55:147-81. [PMID: 16291214]
- D. Bisgrove, M. Lewinski, F. Bushman, and E. Verdin. 2005. Molecular mechanisms of HIV-1 proviral latency. Expert Rev Anti Infect Ther 3:805-14. [PMID: 16207172]
- F. Bushman, M. Lewinski, A. Ciuffi, S. Barr, J. Leipzig, S. Hannenhalli, and C. Hoffmann. 2005. Genome-wide analysis of retroviral DNA integration. Nat Rev Microbiol 3:848-58. [PMID: 16175173]