Eli Spencer, MD, PhD
Eli Spencer, MD, PhD
Medical Education Partnership Initiative, Informatics Coordinator & VA Staff Physician Infectious Diseases (HIV)
9500 Gilman Drive, MC 0711
The goal of Dr. Spencer's research is to develop informatics and diagnostic solutions for medical care in resource-limited settings. In San Diego he coordinates the informatics component of the UCSD/UEM Medical Education Partnership Initiative (MEPI); a collaborative effort between the divisions of Infectious Diseases and Bioinformatics at UCSD and the University Eduardo Mondlane, Maputo Mozambique, to improve medical education and laboratory capacity in Mozambique(mepimoz.org, id.ucsd.edu). Research in his own lab includes yeast based diagnostics, MEMS and portable “lab-in-a-box” technologies integrated via mobile devices.
- Golomb B, Aronoff-Spencer E, Steadman M, Wu W, Yan A. A ray of sunshine for the vitamin D-heart hypothesis. Arch Intern Med. 2009 Feb 23;169(4):416-7
- Aronoff-Spencer, E, Fiser, A; A new method for modeling non-canonical side-chain structure and dynamics in mutant proteins using the MODELER environment . (manuscript in preparation)
- Chattopadhyay, M.; Walter, E. D.; Newell, D. J.; Jackson, P. J.; Aronoff-Spencer, E.; Peisach, J.; Gerfen, G. J.; Bennett, B.; Antholine, W. E.; Millhauser, G. L.; The Octarepeat Domain of the Prion Protein Binds Cu(II) with Three Distinct Coordination Modes at pH 7.4 J. Am. Chem. Soc.; (Article); 2005; 127(36); 12647-12656.
- Fu Z, Aronoff-Spencer E, Wu H, Gerfen GJ, Backer JM. The iSH2 domain of PI 3-kinase is a rigid tether forp110 and not a conformational switch. Arch Biochem Biophys. 2004 Dec 15;432(2):244-51.
- Dodatko T, Fedorov AA, Grynberg M, Patskovsky Y, Rozwarski DA, Jaroszewski L, Aronoff-Spencer E, Kondraskina E, Irving T, Godzik A, Almo SC. Crystal structure of the actin binding domain of the cyclase- associated protein. Biochemistry. 2004Aug 24;43(33):10628-41.
- Aronoff-Spencer E *, Burns CS *, Legname G, Prusiner SB, Antholine WE, Gerfen GJ, Peisach J, Millhauser GL. Copper coordination in the full-length, recombinant prion protein. Biochemistry. 2003 Jun 10;42(22):6794-803.
- Aronoff-Spencer E *, Fu Z * , Backer JM, Gerfen GJ. The structure of the inter-SH2 domain of class IA phosphoinositide 3- kinase determined by site-directed spin labeling EPR and homology modeling, Proc Natl Acad SciU S A. 2003 Mar 18;100(6):3275-80. Epub 2003 Mar 10.
- Aronoff-Spencer E *, Burns CS *, Dunham CM *, Lario P, Avdievich NI, Antholine WE, Olmstead MM, Vrielink A, Gerfen GJ, Peisach J, Scott WG, Millhauser GL. Molecular features of the copper binding sites in the octarepeat domain of the prion protein. Biochemistry. 2002 Mar 26;41(12):3991-4001.
- Aronoff-Spencer E *, Burns CS *, Avdievich NI, Gerfen GJ, Peisach J, Antholine WE, Ball HL, Cohen FE, Prusiner SB,Millhauser GL. Identification of the Cu2+ binding sites in the N-terminal domain of the prion protein by EPR and CD spectroscopy. Biochemistry. 2000 Nov 14;39(45):13760-71.